Monday, February 04, 2008

Now that I have created a blog, I find that I have nothing to say! And the thoughts that are running through my head seem meaningless to anyone but me. For instance, I am thrilled that the New York Giants won the Super Bowl. Why - because the quarterback is a southern boy, who played football for the University of Mississippi, which is the state of my birth, and because my mother calls his family by their first names (no, not to their faces, but you'd think so). She goes on about the Manning boys (Cooper, Peyton, and Eli) and their parents, Archie and Olivia, as if they lived next door. She remembers everything (well, almost everything) they've done: where they played high school football(Newman), why Cooper had to quit playing football (spinal condition), Archie's years at the New Orleans Saints w/o a winning season, and how "everybody" always said Eli would be the best quarterback in the family (yet to be determined). Amid all my excitement about the game and a southern boy being victorious, what I am overwhelmed with is the fact that my 86 year old mother has a better memory than most of us, keeps up with what's going on in the world (including, but not limited to Super Bowl XLII), could analyze the game play by play on request, teaches us to enjoy every moment, and is a delightful presence in our home. I have been told that I'm turning into my mother. May it be so!!

"Honor your father and mother - which is the first commandment with a promise - that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth." Ephesian 6:2-3

1 comment:

cwiginton said...

It is hard to deny (although sometimes enbarassing to admit) connections to Mississippi. My dad was born outside "Resume Speed", Burnsville actually.
I will read but might not often comment and certainly very little of a serious nature.