Thursday, September 04, 2008

He has made my life easier

I've been wanting to give blogging another attempt but have been waiting for something to scream, "write about me" and today that something occurred. This morning a breakfast was held at IBM to honor Ray for 25 years of service. There were approximately 40 people in attendance. Ray was presented with a book full of letters congratulating him on joining the Quarter Century Club. Also, multiple peers, employees, and managers took turns saying a few words. From the first person until the last, I was overwhelmed with the words that were chosen to honor him. Not because the words surprised me, but because they affirmed everything that I know and love about Ray. Ray's boss, Dave, began by saying that usually these events turn into roasts as the guest of honor is repeatedly made fun of. Then he said, "However, how do you make fun of hard work, honesty, clarity, and integrity?" Dave, and others after him, went on to say how valuable Ray has been to IBM, his management team, his peers, and his employees. Multiple guests commented on Ray's value as a mentor. Someone made the comment that he has often had people tell him that they go to Ray for guidance, direction, leadership, and understanding. They commented on Ray's "brutal" honesty and high expectations. But each one said that Ray expects no less of himself than he expects of others. One man specifically brought tears to my eyes as he got teary-eyed himself when sharing what it has meant to him to work with Ray. He goaded Ray for expecting so much and being unwilling to accept anything less than 100% but he got very emotional when he said that after a job well done, Ray had written him a letter of appreciation affirming his hard work and dedication to the project. He acknowledged that Ray does not lavish flattery on anyone, but when Ray gives you praise, he means every word and therefore, those words of praise are priceless. A vice president of IBM went so far as to say that in Austin, TX, IBM can not get a chip out the door without Ray East - what a testimony of his value to his employer. There were many other comments made about Ray but one in particular will remain with me because it is also so true of my own relationship with Ray. One man, followed by others, made the comment, "Ray has made my life easier." Because of Ray's hard work, diligence, honesty, integrity, and leadership, their lives were made easier. Ironically, even the high expectations he puts on them contributes to an easier life. Because he sets the bar high for himself and everyone around him, they all get to enjoy the benefits that come when you achieve something that others thought might be impossible. As I think about that statement, "Ray has made my life easier," I, of course, think of my own life. Ray has provided for our family spiritually, emotionally, mentally, physically, financially, and socially. If I could use one word to describe Ray, it would be the word "intentional." He is the spiritual head of our family and has spent 25+ years of intentional seeking, studying, and praying to be the man God wants him to be. Although no one at the breakfast table this morning specifically called Ray out as a man of God, it was evident by every word spoken about him that he has lived a life of integrity at work, at home, in the community, and in the church. I am so proud that this is the man who has taught our sons what a man looks like. I'm thankful for 26 years of marriage to Ray East. He has made my life easier.

1 comment:

Brad said...

Amen, IBM.