Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Summer Reading

I enjoyed some terrific books this summer, some easier than others, but I would not describe any as "fluff." Each book has a message that deserves thoughtful consideration and conversation. To that end, a book club is beginning next week and our first book to discuss is Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell. After reading it, I passed it along to Ray. We will both be participating in the Book Club and I can't wait for that conversation.


Books I finished:

Traveling Mercies by Anne Lamott
12 Extraordinary Women by John MacArthur
Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell
The McDonaldization of the Church by John Drane
Revolutionary Parenting by George Barna
real sex by Lauren Winner
7 things he'll never tell you (but you need to know) by Kevin Leman

Books I'm currently reading:

The Moral Vision of the New Testament by Richard B. Hays
Recovering the Scandal of the Cross by Green and Baker
Now You're SPEAKING My Language by Gary Chapman

I love to have multiple books going at the same time. It provides variety and also, when I have one that's more difficult (like The Moral Vision), I can read it a little at a time so I can absorb (understand) the message. Everyone should be reading something. Of course, in addition to all these books, I'm also reading the Bible - it always has something fresh, something challenging, something outrageous, something comforting, something I need. I love to underline, highlight, and copy scripture onto 3x5 cards to memorize.

My most recent 3x5 card says this:

"See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ." Colossians 2:8

No comments: